Saturday, July 16, 2016

Steve’s Attempt at Growing and Selling Tomatoes in the Philippines


As a child growing up in rural Alabama, we always had a vegetable garden at our house. How I remember the many hours of pulling weeds and taking water out to the plants. I know at times I would sit there pulling weeds wishing I could be anywhere else but there. But with the hard work, we would also reap the rewards. Our table during the summer months would be filled with fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, egg plants, squash, peas and corn during the summer months from the garden. Nothing could beat coming in and sitting down to Mama’s cooking on a hot summer day.
When we moved to the Philippines in 2010, I was excited about having the space to have our own garden. While looking for a place to live, I always wanted to have room. Not only for the kids to play, but maybe for a garden as well. We were lucky to find a lot with 1,500 square meters that would be perfect in my mind for all I thought I would like to do. We were in a small farming community that had good soil for planting. All it needed was some good seeds and a little tender loving care.
I had purchased some seeds for planting off Amazon. Being I was not the farmer my Dad is, I did not pay attention to what kind of seeds I was purchasing, I just wanted some of those big and juicy tomatoes I had grown to love. The kind when you slice it, one slice would cover a piece of bread. You know those big, red, juicy Beefy Boy tomatoes we have in the States! I purchased my hybrid seeds with a big smile on my face just thinking of those “mayo and mater” sandwiches which I could soon be enjoying. 
Friends and family working in the garden. 
How did I forget so easily that WORK was also involved in all this? Was not it just a few years back in my youth that I had sat there complaining of sitting in the corn rows pulling weeds? How could it be so hard? Weeds seem to be able to multiply overnight and take over anything! Pull one and two more grow!

I am thankful for some helpful friends and family that were available to help with the gardening chores. Their eyes also were on my prized “large” tomatoes. I am not sure anyone in the Cagayan Valley of the Philippines had ever seen such large tomatoes in their life time. That is unless they had been an OFW working abroad and got to see one in a supermarket outside the Philippines somewhere.  They just could not be patient long enough though.
I would walk out to check the tomato plants in the evening and see ones on the vine I knew would make my perfect sandwich. Nice, firm and green yet, with maybe a hint of red coming on. I had just a few more days to wait only. Patience is the key. Let it ripen on the vine and then all that juiciness would fill that tomato just fine.
Look Uncle! Fresh green tomatoes!

The next morning, I was shocked to see not only the tomato I was so eagerly waiting on to ripen, but most all the tomatoes that were bigger than a medium sized rock had been removed. There sitting in the bucket were many half red, some still green tomatoes! Did a storm come through and blow them off the vine? What had happened? Why were all these tomatoes taken off the vine so early? It was explained to me that the Filipinos would like to have them this way and not as a red juicy tomato. Oh the horror as I thought of my “mayo and mater” sandwich that I would now not get to enjoy.
I quickly looked through the bucket and found the biggest and reddest tomato I could find. I set it aside to complete the ripening process as best it could. I would have to enjoy the moment even if it were not as big, not as juicy and not as red as I had planned on it being.
Sorting the goods from the garden to be sold!
After pulling my lone tomato from the bucket, the quest was on to find buyers for these stellar green with somewhat reddish tint tomatoes.  We plied the roads and trails of the local Barangay that we live in looking for interested people who were likely to enjoy these tomatoes. We were met with smiles and laughter and of course some buyers for the tomatoes brought to them by the Kano (kind term given to an American in the Philippines)! We were able to sell our tomatoes with ease and our prices could not be beat. Even being nice at times and throwing in an extra smaller tomato to boot!
Here is a word of advice on buying seeds for growing a garden in the Philippines. If you are like me and did not have this knowledge prior, hybrid seeds are good for only one growing period. They are not able to reproduce if you take the seeds out and try to regrow them. It was a lesson we learned the hard way. The next year we toiled the soil, planted the seeds, pulled the weeds and waited. Although the plants did come up, we never did see the fruits of our labor. It was a disappointing year for our garden. Maly was so depressed, she decided flowers and orchids were a better choice of plants. Will I ever get another juicy “mayo and mater” sandwich in the Philippines?

You can check out our tomato selling adventure on YouTube by visiting the link below. If you have not done so already, please subscribe to our channel and come back for more interesting stories from our adventures in the Cagayan Valley and beyond! 















No comments:

Post a Comment