Thursday, May 11, 2017

5 TIPS FOR EXPATS LIVING IN THE PHILIPPINES





Good morning, afternoon or evening everyone. Wherever you
may be, I hope you are having a wonderful day. These are 5 tips I would like to
share with EXPATs that are either in the Philippines now or thinking of moving
there. I have thought about these for a little while now and think they would
help almost anyone to have a more enjoyable time here.

One of the first things when moving here to the Philippines
I found is that you must have patience. When I arrived back in 2010, I was
told we needed to be somewhere at a certain time. Being that I am from a
military background I would check my watch frequently to make sure I would not
be late. Let’s just say we were to be at a party at 1400. By 1300 I was in
getting a shower and getting ready to go. I know it takes approximately 15
minutes to get to town, so I am assuming we will be leaving by 1340 at the
latest. So here I am at 1340 standing by all ready to go. I look over and my
wife has still not even gotten a shower yet. “Honey, what time was the party?”
I ask. Straight away the answer comes back, “Darling I told you 1400.” I
frantically look at my watch and look back at her. “We are going to be late”
But she replies don’t worry. We will be fine. Sure enough after arriving about
an hour after we are to be there, we find we are one of the first to show up.
Good thing I was keeping track of the time.
Since that day, I have not worn a watch in the Philippines.
I just simply follow along and I usually wait until all others have gotten
ready before I take my shower and get ready myself. Filipinos have their own
time and it is not governed by any mechanical instrument you might have on the
wall or on your wrist.

Also going anywhere in the Philippines is going to take time.
You might as well sit back and enjoy the ride. The traffic here has to be some
of the worst traffic I have had to endure. To go a mere short distance can take
forever if you get caught in the traffic.

Internet is nearly nonexistence at times. The Philippines
has some of the slowest internet speeds of many of the countries I have
visited. It is an issue many wish would be addressed, but still there are many
issues with the internet. Living out in the province, you can expect even
slower speeds. They just have yet to catch up with other developing countries.

These are just a few examples where your patience will be
tested while in the Philippines. If you can learn to “go with the flow” you
will find you will have a much greater time.

The second thing I can think of would be that you must
approach the Philippines with an open mind. You are going to most likely
experience a cultural shock once stepping off the plane in Manila or one of the
other international terminals.

The first thing you will probably notice is the heat when
stepping off the plane. I thought being from Lower Alabama this would be the
least of my worries. I have to admit, Philippines heat is of a different
character than that of the dog days of summer in the US. It is extremely hot
and humid here. The summer months can be brutal. Learning to be Filipino and
staying in a cool place during the hot summer afternoon will soon become a
practice for you as well.

Filipino foods also require and open minded person. Although
I do like some of it, there are others that can be quite shocking. The
Filipinos are not a wasteful people. They will use most anything to make food
out of. Do not be surprised when seeing someone BBQ that they are actually
using the chicken intestines as the meat. When in the market you will see
buckets of pig blood used for making dinuguan. Dinuguan is a Filipino stew made
of pork meat cooked in pig’s blood, vinegar and spices.

Thirdly I would say you must be prepared to rough it
sometimes. Manila, Cebu, Angeles City and Davao may not as much. But as you
leave the city areas and go into the province, there are not as many amenities
as one might be used to.  Simple things
like not having a hot shower, no toilet paper in the restrooms (crs) and the
brownouts can be tough. Then the noise of the roosters crowing at o dark thirty
to wake you up each morning is just a little more realization you are no longer
in Kansas Dorothy!   

The fourth thing I would like to mention is to be observant.
This is not only applied to learning some of the culture and language, but also
for safety. It is a good practice to try and pick up some of the local dialect
where you are at. Learn to interact with those around you. Observe their
practices and participate with them. This does not mean you need to find the
local town drunk and sit with him all day. Get out, see what goes on around you
and enjoy yourself. I follow a simple rule taught to me during my military days
and that is “stay alert, stay alive.

Finally, and the most important of all I feel is to allow
yourself a game plan. Make sure you are prepared for what the future may bring
your way. If you are contemplating a move, try it for 3 months. After that is
finished, evaluate the situation and see where the pros and cons lie. Maybe you
like it, maybe you find yourself looking to go back to the Western way of doing
things. Although the Philippines is a great place I feel to live, it may not be
to everyone’s liking.  

The Philippines is wrought with natural disasters. We are on
what they call the ring of fire. Make sure you have your plans ready if and
when one of the disasters strikes. We have been through typhoons and
earthquakes and luckily we have not had to use our escape plans as yet.
Just remember to always have an exit plan. No matter if you’re
married here or if you are visiting for the first time. Knowing what your plans
are can make a huge difference in being able to remain calm in a tough
situation.

So to sum it up,
1)      Patience, we all need a little in our lives
2)     
Come in with an open mind, don’t keep the doors
and windows locked on a sunny day
3)     
It might be rough, but you can make it
4)     
Observe your surroundings, you might find that
pot of gold at the end of the rain bow
5)     
And finally, plan wisely so you can enjoy your
time



I hope I have provided you, whether you are new or old to
the Philippines, 5 helpful tips here. If you have enjoyed these tips or you
know of others, please comment below. If you liked this video, click that
thumps up button and then share it with a friend. It might be just the advice
they needed today. Thank you and we hope to see you on our next video! 

No comments:

Post a Comment